This is almost a brain dump of sorts – I’ve been meaning to post but honestly, I’ve been working a lot of evenings at the bakery so kitchen experimentation has been at best, a lull. 😦
HOWEVER! I’ve got several day shifts this week, plus band camp next week (I know…already!?) so I’ll have more time to find cook and share recipes with you all. Trust me, I’m excited.
Here’s what we’ve been doing with our CSA vegetables as of late:
- Inspired by a recipe posted by a longtime friend of mine on Facebook, I added swiss chard to enchiladas! In a crockpot, I threw in chicken thighs, a runny can of homemade salsa, and some chopped swiss chard. I let it simmer all day while I was at work, then assembled the enchiladas once I got home and topped them with green enchilada sauce. It was delish and fast.
- Roasted beets are wonderful. Chop off the greens (save & eat ’em if you want), wash & wrap in foil. Roast at 400* for 1 hour. They’re great sliced in salads, or by themselves – I like them with Catalina dressing (that’s how I ate them growing up).
- I’m a real canner now. I made dilly beans!
- I found a recipe in my vegetarian bible for a ‘summer vegetable stew’. It had a Latin flavor to it and was so incredibly filling; it used corn, green beans, tomatoes, pinto beans, and peppers. I froze half of it for a quick meal later.
- Is sauteed zucchini & summer squash not a summer staple in anyone’s dinner line-up right now?
- Chicken breast in fridge without a plan + head of lettuce + I got home from work late = yummy quick salad
Have you been having fun with your CSA?