Risotto is one of my most favorite comfort foods; one I only discovered about four years ago. I’ve finally started to broaden my horizons and make versions other than my absolute favorite recipe. This one was on my meal plan for a few weeks, as I had some spinach and sun-dried tomatoes that I really needed to use up. But because risotto takes a lot of time – it’s not a meal that you can quickly cook – I kept bumping it further and further back. Finally, I found a little bit of free time to make this version of risotto – I’m very pleased with the result, and I also feel that Liz will be especially relieved that I finally made it!
Risotto with Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
adapted from My Favourite Pastime
- 6-8 cups stock/broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups spinach, washed & shredded
- 6 sundried tomatoes, drained and chopped (mine were vacuum sealed, not in oil)
- ½ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- salt & pepper
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil & butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and rice and stir for about 2 minutes until it just starts to brown a little.
- Add the wine and reduce the heat. Stir constantly until the wine has been absorbed.
- Add a cup of your stock to the rice, and stir. When the rice has fully absorbed the liqud, add more stock – a little at a time.
- One all the stick has been absorbed, your right should be nice and soft, with a creamy texture. Add the spinach and tomatoes. Add salt & pepper to taste, then add the parmesan cheese. Toss into the rice, and serve hot.
It’s a colorful meal, isn’t it?
I will absolutely make this again, especially once CSA season rolls around again and I have plenty of fresh chard & spinach. If you don’t like parmesan, you can always change the cheese to mozzarella – I think that would taste just as great. I also wonder what this would taste like with a little lemon zest. I ended up taking the leftovers for lunch; I honestly don’t mind leftover risotto, unlike someone else I know 😉
In the meantime, if you’re expecting yet another winter storm, I highly suggest putting this on the docket for dinner. It’s comforting, flavorful and warms you right up!
One thought on “Risotto with Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes”
I’m glad you finally found time to make it and you loved it. I also love Pecorino Romano cheese. The taste is just irreplaceable. Let me checkout your absolute favourite recipe, Maybe I’ll have another to add to my repertoire. Have a lovely day. Best wishes!