Chicken parmesan has been one of my most favorite foods for as long as I can remember. Serve it with a salad, some spaghetti, and maybe some garlic bread or breadsticks…yum. Then again, I’m also Italian. How could I not like this dish? 😉 It’s another one of those comfort foods that I hold near and dear to my heart. And, with the weather as cold as it’s been (I saw -26 on my thermometer on the way to work. WTF), you all know that I just can’t get enough of comfort food.
But, I’m away from my home anywhere from 8 to 15 hours a day – depending on what band event is going on – and sadly, I don’t have as much time as I’d like to really put some love into weeknight cooking.
That’s where this recipe comes in. It’s one where you can make it ahead of time on a lazy Sunday, or mix up in 10 minutes. You can fix it, and forget about it for a little while – but still tastes good (unlike some of the meals that my crockpot has been overcooking lately). I believe it put it all together, threw it in the oven, and worked on laundry and grading for a while.
Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf
adapted from What’s Cookin’ Chicago?
- 1 lb ground chicken (ground turkey is okay, too)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced onion (the dried kind)
- salt & pepper (just a dash of each)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- pasta sauce
- shredded Italian cheese blend (mozzarella is okay as well)
- minced/dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Lightly grease loaf pan with cooking spray & set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, egg, breadcrumbs, spices (except the parsley), and Parmesan cheese. Mix until combined.
- Place the mixture into the greased loaf pan & press down to make a loaf. Top the meatloaf with pasta sauce.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and top with the Italian blend cheese and parsley; put back into the oven and bake until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
I paired this with a green salad and some spaghetti, mixed up with some garlic scape pesto we had in the freezer – which, may I add, froze really well and was so wonderful to thaw and use in the dead of winter. Our house smelled amazing as this was cooking.bNext time I’m going to make a few batches of this and freeze it, so we have some quick meals for busy nights. Since I have that lovely deep freezer, I have plenty of room! 🙂 The instructions for baking from frozen should be on the original post.
Enjoy! Stay warm!
2 thoughts on “Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf”
This looks so yummy! My family doesn’t love meatloaf like I do, but I think this one might change their minds. I’m going to try it next week. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
You’re welcome! I hope your family loves it!