I’ve decided that I’m officially obsessed with the garlic scape pesto I made. We’ve eaten it (together and on our own) atop of fresh bread, tortellini, and in sandwiches. It’s so fresh-tasting, less garlicky than typical pesto, and, well, is just awesome.
Another flavor combination that really screams summer to me is the ‘caprese’ salad, a basic combination of tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella. I had the tomatoes laying around, as well as the mozzarella; both were probably going to go bad in the coming days, and needed to used up. I figured, why not use them with the pesto?
Easy Caprese Panini – The Spicy Simmer
- 4 slices good bread (I used pepper parmesan & rosemary olive breads from work, lucky me!)
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- several slices of fresh mozzarella
- 4 tbsp garlic scape pesto
- balsamic vinegar, for dipping
- Spread 1 tbsp pesto on a slice of bread. Add tomatoes, then mozzarella.
- Spread 1 tbsp onto the piece of bread that completes the sandwich. Form sandwich 😉
- On a heated panini press or grill pan, sprayed with cooking spray, grill the sandwich until the mozzarella melts.
- Makes two sandwiches.